The purpose of these regulations is to implement Natural Resources Article, 5410 -- 5-406, Annotated Code of Maryland, to ensure the proper care of roadside trees in the interest of promoting and maintaining healthy trees and safe unobstructed, and aesthetically pleasing public roads and rights-of-way.
A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Director" means Director of the Maryland Forest Service.(2) "Dripline" is a line extending from the outer reaches of a tree crown vertically to the ground.(3) "Forest Service" means the Maryland Forest Service.(4) "Licensed Tree Expert" means a person licensed under Natural Resources Article, 5-415 et seq.(5) "Person" includes the State, a county, municipal corporation, or other political subdivision of the State, or their units, or an individual, receiver, trustee, guardian, executor, administrator, fiduciary, or representative of any kind, or a partnership, firm, association, public or private corporation, or other entity.(6) "Pesticide" means a:
(a) Chemical or biological preparation used to kill, inhibit, or regulate growth on targeted plants, their spores or seed, including:
(i) Herbicides,(ii) Insecticides,(iii) Tree growth regulators, and(iv) Fungicides,
(b) Substance or mixture of substances intended for:
(i) Preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating pest,(ii) Use as plant regulator, defoliant, or desiccant, or(iii) Use as a spray adjuvant such as a wetting agent or adhesive.
(7) "Public road" means a road the title to which, or the easement for the use of which, is vested in a public body or governmental agency.
(8) "Recommended tree list" means a list of trees approved by the Forest Service and those recommended by the Forest Service that are suitable for planting on specific sites and for specific conditions within the right-of-way of public roads.
(9) "Right-of-way of a public road" means that land the title to which, or an easement for which, is held by the State, county, or a municipality for use as a public road.
(10) "Roadside tree" or 'tree" means a plant that has woody stem or trunk that grows all, or in part, within the right-of-way of a public road.(11) "Roadside tree care expert" means an individual representing a governmental agency who:
(a) Is designated to supervise that government's roadside tree planting and maintenance operations;(b) Has passed the Forest Service's examination for licensed tree experts;(c) Has been approved by the Forest Service as qualified to supervise that government's tree care program.
(12) 'Tree Care" means:
(a) Removal of a roadside tree;(b) Planting or maintenance, or both, of a roadside tree;(c) Application of pesticide to a roadside tree; or(d) Treatment that may affect the health or growth of a roadside tree.
(13) "Tree care crew' means a unit from a public or private entity whose purpose is to maintain roadside trees as defined in B(l 0) of this regulation, characterized by a service truck and supervised by a licensed tree expert.(14) 'Tree care standards" means tree care approved by the Forest Service and in accordance with the roadside tree care standards set forth in Regulations .07-.09 of this chapter.
707 North Calvert Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202-3601
Main Business Line – 410-545-0300
Safety Campaigns – 1-800-323-6742
For emergencies, call MDOT SHA's Statewide Operations Center at 410-582-5650.
Frequently Asked Questions
Public Information Act