This Manual provides the design criteria for highway drainage. Hydrologic data for use with the Rational Method and SCS TR55 is included. Design charts and nomographs are included to assist in design computations.
211 E. Madison Street
- A partially downloadable version is available
- Part I - Division of Highway Development (PDF 4.3 Mb)
- Part II - Division of Bridge Development has been superceeded by the "Manual for Hydrologic and Hydraulic Design" which is generally applicable where drainage areas exceed 1 square mile and for all bridge openings.
- Part III - Environment Criteria and Procedures Bureau of Landscape Architecture
- Part IV - Appendicies
- Glossary (PDF 939 Kb)
- References (PDF 0.4 Mb)
- Design Charts - Have been mostly superceeded by the various software programs
- Open Drainage Systems
- Ditches - use VURBAN
- Headwater - use Culvert Headwater Calculator (HDS-5) or HY-8
- Storm Drainage Systems
- Inlets and Gutters - VURBAN
- Pipes - TVHG or approved programs
- TR-20 Input Forms - use TR-55 Worksheet or WinTR-20
- Design Forms (PDF 2 Mb)
- Design of Corrugated Metal and Aluminum Pipes (PDF 1.7 Mb)
Highway DrainageManual Design Guidelines
Office of Highway Development
The Design Guidelines supplement the Highway Drainage Manual and supercede any and all previously issued manuals, directives and guidelines.
- SWM Processor - V2.00.07 software update