Clicking on an image will open a new window with a bigger picture.
The point where the Susquehanna River meets the Chesapeake Bay has been a strategic crossing point for generations. Ferries made the long trip across until 1910, when local citizens converted a railway bridge into a toll bridge. It proved to be a gold mine but inadequate for the traffic, even with the addition of a second level. In 1940 the state erected this high, fixed steel truss to make the trip on US 40 safer and easier. Designed by the J. E. Greiner Company, the combination through-and-deck arch extends 7,618 feet and measures 177 feet from the water to its highest point. In 1986 it was dedicated to Hatem, a distinguished Harford County citizen.
More information about this bridge can be obtained from the Maryland Transportation Authority website, http:\\www.mdta.state.md.us
Back to Historic Bridges of Maryland
707 North Calvert Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202-3601
Main Business Line – 410-545-0300
Safety Campaigns – 1-800-323-6742
For emergencies, call MDOT SHA's Statewide Operations Center at 410-582-5650.
Frequently Asked Questions
Public Information Act