Home > Business > Permits & Utilities > Access Management/Permits

Access Management/Permits

Subscribe to E-mail Alerts Subscribe to Email Alerts

Access Management is a set of techniques that the Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration (MDOT SHA) uses to control access to State highways.



Send all access permit-related project submittals to the District Engineer, attention of the Regional or Area Engineer:

District 1 (Dorchester, Somerset, Wicomico, Worcester)

District Engineer: James Meredith

P.O. Box 2679

660 West Road

Salisbury MD  21802

Regional Engineer: Dan Wilson

Phone: (410) 677-4048


District 2 (Caroline, Cecil, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Talbot)

District Engineer: Kenneth Fender

615 Morgnec Road

Chestertown MD 21620

Regional Engineer : Henry Dierker

Phone: (410) 810-3244


District 3 (Montgomery, Prince George’s)

District Engineer: Andre Futrell

9300 Kenilworth Avenue

Greenbelt MD  20770

Regional Engineer: Kwesi Woodroffe

Phone: (301) 513-7347`


District 4 (Baltimore, Harford)

District Engineer: Wendy Wolcott

320 West Warren Road

Hunt Valley MD  21030

Regional Engineer: Rich Zeller

Phone: (410) 229-2332


District 5 (Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, St. Mary’s)

District Engineer: Corren Johnson

138 Defense Highway

Annapolis MD  21401

Regional Engineer: Erich Florence

Phone: (410) 841-1044


District 6 (Allegany, Garrett, Washington)

District Engineer: Anthony Crawford

1251 Vocke Road

La Vale MD  21502

Regional Engineer: Mark McKenzie

Phone: (301) 729-8465


District 7 (Carroll, Frederick, Howard)

District Engineer: Teri Soos

5111 Buckeystown Pike

Frederick MD  21704

Regional Engineer: Scott Newill

Phone: (301) 624-8151

Check the Status: Access Management Review Status Search

Access Management Flow Charts describe the review cycles.

Types of Permits

  • Commercial/Industrial/Residential Subdivision Access Permit

    This type of permit covers:

    • Entrances for commercial or industrial site access (new or modified)
    • Public or private street connections for subdivision access (new or modified)
    • Off-site MDOT SHA improvements by developers, where mandated by the local jurisdiction (in connection with development approval) or by MDOT SHA
    • Local government (county or municipal) road improvement projects on State right of way, when related to land use/development approval or when resulting in a new highway intersection
    • Highway rehabilitation/streetscape improvements that involve work in the travel lanes of the State highway
    • Temporary construction access for the above

    This process is closely tied to the local government’s planning and zoning/development review. As a developer you must begin obtaining local development approval prior to submitting any requests to MDOT SHA Access Management. The local planning and zoning office will forward your submittals to MDOT SHA for our review. The following information will help you to submit the proper materials:

    Submittal review status
    MDOT State Highway Administration Access Manual "Updated August 2016"
    Process flow charts
    AM Regional Maps
    Access Permit Statewide - Communication/ Issue Resolution Matrix
    Documents and Links:

  • In April 2010 a Highway Access Permit Stakeholder Review Group streamlined the process for granting access permits that connect new developments to Maryland’s highways. The results are reflected in the current process, which applies to residential and commercial access requests. Access management representatives from your local MDOT SHA district offices can assist you in applying for a permit.

  • District level Access Permit

    You need a permit for the following activities within the State right of way. For a Commercial/Industrial/Residential Access Permit, see above.

    • Construction or modification of residential driveways
    • Repair or replacement of entrances, curb and gutter, or pavement
    • Construction, repair, or replacement of sidewalk
    • Grading
    • Construction or modification of drainage connections
    • Utility work
    • Landscaping
    • Highway rehabilitation or streetscape improvements by local government (county or municipal)
    • Sign placement
    • Any other work on the State highway
    • Any other work within the State's right-of-way (highway right of way, easement areas, land holdings, etc.)
    • Pedestrian facilities and bus shelters

    Coordinate with your district office for further information on obtaining a permit. In addition, all utility work must be coordinated with and permitted through the district office.

Note: In 2016 we hosted a public forum to gather feedback from customers and make improvements. Click here to read the executive summary.