Access Management/Permits

Access Management is a set of techniques that the Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration (MDOT SHA) uses to control access to State highways.

Click here to submit an access m​anagement plan.

Send all access permit-related project submittals to the District Engineer, attention of the Regional or Area Engineer:

MDOT SHA Districts

District 1 (Dorchester, Somerset, Wicomico, Worcester)

​District Engineer:​ ​Mark Crampton​
P.O. Box 2679
660 West Road
Salisbury MD 21802
Regional Engineer: Jeff Fritts / Daniel Wilson​
Phone: (410) 677-4048

District 2 (Caroline, Cecil, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Talbot)

District Engineer: Kenneth Fender
615 Morgnec Road
Chestertown MD 21620
Regional Engineer :Henry Dierker
Phone: (410) 810-3244

District 3 (Montgomery, Prince George’s)

Acting District Engineer: Derek Gunn
9300 Kenilworth Avenue
Greenbelt MD 20770
Regional Engineer: Kwesi Woodroffe
Phone: (301) 513-7347`

District 4 (Baltimore, Harford)

Acting District Engineer: Sutapa Samanta
320 West Warren Road
Hunt Valley MD 21030
Regional Engineer: Teresa Eller
Phone: (410) 229-2424

District 5 (Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, St. Mary’s)

District Engineer: Kim Tran
138 Defense Highway
Annapolis MD 21401
Regional Engineer: Jonathan Makhlouf P.E.
Phone: (410) 841-1084

District 6 (Allegany, Garrett, Washington)

District Engineer: Linda Puffenbarger
1251 Vocke Road
La Vale MD 21502
RegionalEngineer: Allan Kujenga​
Phone: (301) 729-8465

District 7 (Carroll, Frederick, Howard)

​District Engineer: Andrew Radcliffe
5111 Buckeystown Pike
Frederick MD 21704
Regional Engineer: Anish Thomas​
Phone: (301) 624-8152

Check the Status: Access Management Review Status Search

Access Management Flow Charts describe the review cycles.

Types of Permits

Commercial/Industrial/Residential Subdivision Access Permit

This type of permit covers:

  • Entrances for commercial or industrial site access (new or modified)
  • Public or private street connections for subdivision access (new or modified)
  • Off-site MDOT SHA improvements by developers, where mandated by the local jurisdiction (in connection with development approval) or by MDOT SHA
  • Local government (county or municipal) road improvement projects on State right of way, when related to land use/development approval or when resulting in a new highway intersection
  • ​Highway rehabilitation/streetscape improvements that involve work in the travel lanes of the State highway
  • Temporary construction access for the above

This process is closely tied to the local government’s planning and zoning/development review. As a developer you must begin obtaining local development approval prior to submitting any requests to MDOT SHA Access Management. The local planning and zoning office will forward your submittals to MDOT SHA for our review. The following information will help you to submit the proper materials:

In April 2010 a ​ Highway Access Permit Stakeholder Review Group streamlined the process for granting access permits that connect new developments to Maryland’s highways. The results are reflected in the current process, which applies to residential and commercial access requests. Access management representatives from your local MDOT SHA district offices can assist you in applying fora permit.

District-Level Access Permit

You need a permit for the following activities within the State right of way. For a Commercial/Industrial/Residential Access Permit, see above.

  • Construction or modification of residential driveways
  • Repair or replacement of entrances, curb and gutter, or pavement
  • Construction, repair, or replacement of sidewalk
  • Grading
  • Construction or modification of drainage connections
  • Utility work
  • Landscaping
  • Highway rehabilitation or streetscape improvements by local government (county or municipal)
  • Sign placement
  • Any other work on the State highway
  • Any other work within the State's right-of-way (highway right of way, easement areas, land holdings, etc.)
  • Pedestrian facilities and bus shelters

Coordinate with your district office for further information on obtaining a permit. In addition, all utility work must be coordinated with and permitted through the district office.


In 2016 we hosted a public forum to gather feedback from customers andmake improvements. Click here to read the executive summary.