Clicking on an image will open a new window with a bigger picture.
This triple-span, reinforced-concrete arch took over for Wilson Bridge in 1936, when heavy automobile and truck traffic became too much for the older bridge. The new bridge, an open-spandrel arch, is an elegant design that pays tribute to the old stone arch. The road, still called the National Pike, was chartered by Maryland in 1792 as a turnpike to connect Frederick and Cumberland. Opened in 1823, it was impassable by 1889, when a storm wrecked many of its bridges. The Good Roads Act of 1916 provided federal funding to repair the road, which has since been numerically designated as US 40.
We're available on the following channels.